Lighting a candle seems like a simple task, but there is an art to burning one properly and safely...
- Trim your wick to 1/8 -1/4 inch every time you light your candle. If the wick is too long it will mushroom and cause it to soot. A long wick is the reason for the smokey residue on candle glass that you sometimes see.
- Always burn your candle in a room that is well ventilated but away from vents or drafts. Strong air flow can disrupt the teardrop shape of the flame which can cause the candle to flicker and smoke.
- Be sure and let your candle burn all the way across until the top is completely liquid every time you light it. If a candle does not have the proper melt it can (what I like to call) tunnel where the wick seems to sink lower than the top of the wax line.
- NEVER EVER leave your candle unattended, and ALWAYS keep candles out of reach of children and pets. A burning candle is an open flame and if not watched closely fire can occur.
- Once your candle reaches 1/2 inch of wax in the bottom it is time to repurpose your jar. If you burn your candle all the way to the bottom the wick can become loose and this is can be a very dangerous fire hazard.
I hope these tips help you get the most out of your Hello You candle experience. We want you to love your candle as much as we do!